Alderley Edge and Knutsford Methodist Circuit is situated in a rural area of North East Cheshire. Alderley Edge is the larger church in the east of the circuit, sheltering under the Edge, a natural sandstone ridge standing on the Cheshire plain. Knutsford, a thriving market town, is at the western end.
Around the two centres, the circuit includes the village chapels of Mottram St Andrew, Mobberley, Snelson, Over Peover and Plumley, along with the Welcome Cafe Church in Longridge, Knutsford.
Our Circuit Mission Statement
Developing Our Calling through Whole Life Discipleship
In Worship – To grow deeper into God by underpinning everything we do with God-centred worship and prayer.
In Service – To be a good neighbour to people in need and to challenge injustice.
In Learning and Caring – To help people grow and learn as Christians, through mutual support and care.
In Evangelism – To increase awareness of God’s presence and to celebrate God’s love.
Thank you for contacting us. We will get back to you as soon as possible
Oops, there was an error sending your message. Please try again later
Situated in the prosperous village of Alderley Edge, just south of Wilmslow in the Manchester commuter belt, the Methodist Church is a vibrant outward facing community based church, built in 1863 and refurbished in 1996, with strong links locally, including ministry to the schools and care homes and ecumenical links through Churches Together.
There are active young people’s groups and a newly formed youth group. Community groups use the buildings every day of the week and musical concerts are a regular feature.
Knutsford Methodist Church, or KMC, has a privileged position in the town centre of this lively market town. Built in 1864, and extensively modified internally over the last 20 years, the church is a modern place of worship in a historic setting.
The church is a diverse and active worshipping community, supporting three services each Sunday of differing styles and membership, along with a young church, youth and young adults groups.
The church is active too in the community, supporting major events in the town calendar, and providing rooms during the week in the attached Community Centre.
Mobberley Methodist Church serves one of the larger villages of the circuit, situated halfway between Knutsford and Alderley Edge.
The church was built in 1882 for the growing local Methodist worshippers, and it continues to be active in the local community. Ties with the local Parish church are strong, and a joint youth club is hosted at the church.
Minister: Rev. Scott Manning
Mottram St Andrew
Mottram St Andrew chapel is a warm, welcoming and active church which is the sole place of Worship in the village. Along with the village hall it is at the centre of village life.
There are close community contacts for Christingle, Brownie and Guide parades, village Remembrance service, open air service and Christmas, Easter and Harvest celebrations.
Built in 1913 after a tremendous effort by local Methodist’s to replace a ‘Mission Room’, Over Peover Methodist Church has provided a faithfully Christian witness for over a century. Although it has the smallest membership in the Circuit the members and friends of the church have worked tirelessly in recent years to update the building including excellent catering and disabled facilities.
The Church is situated in one of the most beautiful and peaceful parts of rural Cheshire making it an excellent location for retreats. Its well maintained grounds offer the potential of use for a secure play area and provide ample off road parking.
The village of Over Peover situated close to Peover Hall (with a history dating back to the Norman conquests), is a prosperous commuter/ agricultural community, including St. Lawrence’s Anglican Church, a very highly regarded school and its own cricket club.
Plumley Methodist Church, at the western end of the circuit, is a recent joiner to our family, having emigrated from nearby Northwich.
Snelson chapel is one of the oldest in the area. Opened in 1825 and enlarged in 1875, it has long served the worshipping Methodist community of farmers and villagers of the area.
Snelson is a small civil parish between Chelford and Over Peover. The chapel continues a tradition of worshipping communities in Cheshire's tiny villages, and, set in its peaceful location, ideal for retrreats.
The Welcome is a community church on the edge of Knutsford, serving estates set-up in the 1960's. This Fresh Expression church is recognised nationally as significant. Longridge and Shaw Heath are self-contained communities within the wider town of Knutsford although distinctly different in character and outlook.
The church is one of the first Fresh Expressions formally to become a Methodist society in its own right.
A fresh expressions video was made here, and the Welcome was given a Big Society Award from the Prime Minister’s Office and also the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.